Connecting with Trello
If you use Trello as a project management tool, you can easily integrate it with Everhour and start tracking time for all your Trello tasks. No more tab switching.
In this article
How to setup
Important. To see the embedded timer in your Trello and track time there, you need to install our browser extension. This is how we embed controls into their interface. The extension must be up-to-date and installed on any computer you use.
You'll be prompted to connect during signup. To do this, you need to hit 'Trello' button and let Everhour do the rest, step-by-step.
You can connect Trello or any other platform at any time from the Integrations page in your account settings.
You need to invite your team to join Everhour. During the registration process, they will need to connect their Trello accounts and install our browser extension. I.e. only those you invite into Everhour will be able to track time and see time progress. These are not necessarily all Trello users. Same way your clients will not see anything in Trello unless you add them to your Everhour team.
How sync works
When you connect Trello, Everhour will automatically sync all your boards across all teams and workspaces. It's currently not possible to make a granular sync, deciding what projects you wish to connect and what not.
If you want Personal Boards to be synchronized with Everhour too, please choose this option during the connection step.
Sync happens periodically and automatically so all new boards that you create in Trello will be added to your Everhour account. Everhour also updates the names of cards or boards if they were renamed in Trello. This way Everhour reports will always show the freshest data.
How to trigger instant sync:
If you just added a new board in Trello or renamed the existing one and want to see these changes immediately in Everhour, you need to re-sync projects from the Integrations page manually.
Same with tasks. If you've just renamed a card, added a new tag or moved the card into a different list and you want to see these changes instantly, you need to go to the Projects page, select the project(-s) with a change and hit 'Resync Tasks'.
Controls inside Trello
After successful integration, Everhour supplements Trello interface with a number of features.
- Timesheet: use our 'Timesheet' button to open timesheet window. You’ll be able to quickly look at all your timekeeping for a Day or Week as well as quickly add time and comments for the tasks you have been working on.
- Header: configure any project as billable, set up project budget, see total project hours and estimate. By default, only admins can see the budget. You can enable showing budget to everyone. Regular members don't see anything money-related in Everhour;
- $ Billable Card: Everhour lets you mark certain tasks inside the billable project as non-billable and thus exclude these tasks time from the billable amount calculation or set them with a custom rate;
- Task time: total time reported by each employee and estimate into the task. Click on the badge to make changes;
- Buttons: you can track time using the timer or log time manually.
Making reports with Trello data
There are a number of columns that shows specific data coming from Trello. Open a report builder and select any of columns to display the data in your report.
- Project and task accordingly show the names of Trello boards and cards;
- Section shows the name of the Trello list name;
- Task number and Task status shows the task ID and whether it is open/closed;
- Tag shows the name of Trello tags;
- Any custom field can be used as a separate column;
In general, we rely on Trello's permissions a lot. If in Trello the user has access to the task project, therefore, he/she can track the time in it. If you take away someone's access to the project in Trello, this user will no longer be able to track time into its tasks. Past history will remain in the reports of the team, but the user will lose it.
Configuring budgets, marking a task as non-billable, assigning a client to the project can only be done by admins. The admin in Everhour can see projects and tasks of all members. It does not matter if an admin has access to the same board in Trello. This is due to the fact that any admin should see the same totals in time reports and be able to configure projects billing and budgeting.
Regular users cannot track time into the archived project. Admins can do that, but only manually (timer is disabled). Thus, we indicate that the project is archived and make sure that no one tracks time accidentally.
It may happen that Trello changes something in their code and these changes break some part of our functionality. We always do our best to apply the necessary corrections ASAP, but this requires updating our browser extension (this is how we embed into Trello interface and there is no other mechanism). If you encounter an issue that something has stopped working, please make sure that you have the latest version of the extension installed. Read this article for more details.
If suddenly the review of our extension is delayed by Google team, as a temporarily workaround, you can install the dev version of our extension. Read this article for more details.
To disable integration, go to 'Integrations' page in Everhour account.
This option affects only your account, other team members are still able to track time. If the whole team disconnects Trello, no one can track new time in Trello, time history remains only in admin reports.
To remove all Everhour controls from the Trello interface, delete our browser extension.