Creating an invoice
Learn how to create and send invoices with our step-by-step guide.
In this article:
Why to use invoices
The amount due is calculated based on hourly rates per member or per project and excludes non-billable tasks. When your team reports time, the only thing you should do is to click `Create invoice` button. The time in the invoice is marked as invoiced and doesn't appear in future invoices. Plus your team cannot accidentally change this time afterwards.
Reports lets you analyze the time spent for a specific project or client, understand the effectiveness and profitability and make more accurate estimates in the future.
Before creating an invoice
- Only users with the admin role can see the 'Invoices' page, can issue invoices and see the financial information associated with them in reports. In addition, as an admin, you should activate the 'Clients and 'Invoices' apps.
- You need to create a client in Everhour or connect and import clients from Xero, QuickBooks or FreshBooks;
- The client should have at least one billable project (by default new projects in Everhour are non-billable);
- You should have billable and uninvoiced time or expenses for the selected period;
Invoice with time and expenses
Go to Invoices page and click 'Create Invoice' button.
Select the client, choose projects and period. Check Expenses checkbox to include them into the invoice along with time.
By clicking the 'Create' button, you will see the invoice editing form. The invoice draft will not be saved until you click 'Save' button.
You can change or translate any label used in the invoice at the Preview step. For more details, please refer to our Invoice customization guide.
- Invoice number: the number starts from 1 and in the future will automatically be incremented for this client. The pattern can be changed.
- Data: you can always change the period and/or projects, i.e. update the invoice.
- Basic invoice info: Issue date, Due date and Reference number;
- Grouping: you can specify how you'd like to group data in line items. We remember your choice and apply it with the next client's invoice;
- Invoice items: edit description, time, rate, amount, add discount, taxes etc.
- Public notes: adding details and important comments. Support markdown format.
Create a free-form invoice
If you need to send a quote or an estimate to your customer before you started any work, you can create a free-form (blank) invoice.
To do so, just leave options 'Time' and 'Expenses' unchecked. Your line items will be blank and you can enter free text in description, time and amount there.
Please note that data from free-form invoices isn't available in reports.