Connecting with Jira Cloud
If you use Jira Cloud as a project management tool, you can easily integrate it with Everhour and start tracking time for all your Jira issues. No more tab switching.
In this article
How to setup
You'll be prompted to connect during signup. To do this, you need to hit 'Jira software' button and then continue, letting Everhour do the rest, step-by-step.
After you finished the registration, go to Atlassian Marketplace, grant permissions and install it for the Jira account (Jira admins only).
You need to invite your team to join Everhour. Only those who register accounts, can log in and start tracking time.
How sync works
When you connect Jira, Everhour will automatically sync all your projects across all teams and workspaces. It's currently not possible to make a granular sync, deciding what projects you wish to connect and what not.
Sync happens periodically and automatically so all new projects that you create in Jira will be added to your Everhour account. Everhour also updates the names of issues or projects if they were renamed in Jira. This way Everhour reports will always show the freshest data.
How to trigger instant sync:
If you just added a new project in Jira or renamed the existing one and want to see these changes immediately in Everhour, you need to re-sync projects from the Integrations page manually.
Same with tasks. If you've just renamed an issue, added a new tag or moved the issue into a different section and you want to see these changes instantly, you need to go to the Projects page, select the project(-s) with a change and hit 'Resync Tasks'.
Controls inside Jira
After successful integration, Everhour app supplements Jira interface with a number of features.
- Side bar: use our 'Time tracking' button to open your Everhour Time page and use weekly timesheet to log hours on Jira issues and tasks from other projects. Click on 'Time summary' (admins only) to see project time totals, budget usage history, expenses by the project, etc.
- Edit time: Click on the badge to make changes;
- Timer/Add Time: you can track time using the timer or log time manually.
- Time log: you can see the history of time changes into a task.
- Estimate: total time planned on a task, syncs with a Jira custom field called "Original Estimate".
Making reports with Jira data
There are a number of columns that show specific data coming from Jira. Open a report builder and select any of columns to display the data in your report.
- Project and task accordingly show the names of Jira projects and issues;
- Parent task column that can group your child tasks under the parent name (epic);
- Task number and Task status shows the task ID and whether it is open/closed/in progress, etc.;
- Tag shows the name of Jira labels;
- Any custom field can be used as a separate column;
In general, we rely on Jira's permissions a lot. If in Jira the user has access to the task project, therefore, he can track the time in it. If you take away someone's access to the project in Jira, this user will no longer be able to track time into its tasks. Past history will remain in the reports of the team, but the user will lose it.
Configuring budgets, marking a task as non-billable, assigning a client to the project can only be done by admins. The admin in Everhour can see projects and tasks of all members. It does not matter if an admin has access to the same project in Jira. This is due to the fact that any admin should see the same totals in time reports and be able to configure projects billing and budgeting.
Regular users cannot track time into the archived project. Admins can do that, but only manually (timer is disabled). Thus, we indicate that the project is archived and make sure that no one tracks time accidentally.
To disable integration, go to 'Integrations' page in Everhour account.
This option affects only your account, other team members are still able to track time. If the whole team disconnects Jira, no one can track new time in Jira, time history remains only in admin reports.
To remove all Everhour controls from Jira interface, delete our app.